I started by putting all of the ingredients for the bbq sauce in the crock pot. The original recipe calls for bourbon, but we didn't have any on hand. Whiskey, wine and margarita mix yes - bourbon no. After the bbq sauce was all mixed up, I cut up 1 pound of chicken breast into 4 chunks and put it into the crock pot for a few hours until it was done. I also left out the soy sauce. Apparently soy sauce is made with wheat, so it was a no no for us! Then I turned the crock pot on 'keep warm' and let it sit until dinner time.
When it was time to make dinner, I took the chicken out and shredded it up with two forks. I also took most of the sauce and put it in a pan on the stove. I let it boil, turned it down, and let it thicken up. This makes for a great dipping sauce!
While all that was happening I made the DELICIOUS apple slaw. I whisked together the honey, apple cider vinegar, lime juice and extra virgin olive oil. Then I added one cut up green apple and coleslaw. I cheated and used pre-packaged coleslaw from the store. Way easier than shredding my own cabbage.
We skipped the recommended gouda cheese and buns - but that would have been great too. The hubby kept everything separate on this plate while I piled the slaw on top of the chicken. The tangy slaw and bbq sauce on the chicken mixed so well together! I would even make the slaw by itself and eat it as a side dish I liked it so much. The apples added such a nice crispiness to it. It was even kid approved! She liked it so much she asked for seconds! If that's not the mark of a good meal, I don't know what is!
Crock Pot Chicken and Apple Slaw
Modified just a little bit from www.iowagirleats.com
1 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
Dash of crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper
1 pound chicken breast
3 cups coleslaw
1 green apple chopped up
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper
1. Mix all of the BBQ sauce ingredients together in the bottom of the crock pot.
2. Add chicken
3. Cook on high until chicken is done ~ 4 hours
4. When the chicken is done, pull it out of the sauce and shred using two forks
5. Take ~ 2 cups of the sauce out of the crock pot and heat to a boil on the stove. Turn the heat down and allow it to thicken.
6. Next mix up the slaw. Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, lime juice, salt and pepper together. Then add the slaw and apple. Mix it up!
7. Serve all stacked together or separately with the bbq sauce for dipping.
How ever you decide to eat it - it's amazing!
Link back to original recipe: http://iowagirleats.com/2013/07/09/crock-pot-bourbon-chicken-sammies-with-crunchy-apple-slaw/