I enjoy baking, but this new twist has been quite the challenge. All new types of flours, egg substitutes and vegan butters were a little mind blowing. I've tried all sorts of recipes and they are just not the same as the original. Until now. These cupcakes are amazing! So amazing in fact that my daughter asked for another the minute after she ate the first one and my husband, who is notoriously picky about his desserts, (he's a bit of a dessert connoisseur) approved and ate more than half of them!
This recipe is just to fantastic not to share! I do believe you could make these using 'regular' ingredients and they would be just as amazing!
I adapted a recipe I found online and did some quick Internet research to figure out a good substitute for eggs. Turns out that in different types of recipes you need to use different substitutes for eggs. Who knew! For cupcakes, I used 1/4 cup vegetable oil per egg.
To start these bad boys mix together your dry ingredients.
Scoop the batter into a paper lined muffin tin. This made 12 cupcakes for me. Then mix up the frosting. It's your basic powdered sugar / butter / milk recipe. Bake the cupcake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees. When finished and cool and frost them! Having a little help never hurt anything ; )
Hope you enjoy them too!
Vegan / Gluten Free Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
adapted from: www.mywisemom.com
*1 1/2 cups gluten free flour. I used Bobs Red Mill gluten free flour
*1 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (Only use this if you are using the Bob's Red Mill flour. The side of the flour package tells you how much to add based on what type of food you are making. For cupcakes it is 3/4 tsp per cup of flour. So for this recipe I added 1 and 1/8 tsp. You would NOT add this if using wheat flour.)
*1 tsp baking powder
*1/2 tsp baking soda
*1/4 tsp salt
*1/2 tsp vanilla
*1/2 cup vegan butter. I used Earth Balance baking sticks. Any type of butter would work.
*1 1/2 cups mashed up bananas. (I used 3 bananas)
*1/2 cup vegetable oil (This is a substitute for eggs. If you can eat eggs, use 2 of them!)
*3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (regular would work too)
*1 tsp vanilla
*2 tbsp soy milk (use whatever milk is allergy friendly in your house)
*1/2 cup vegan butter. I used Earth Balance again - but use whatever is friendly to you!
*3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line your muffin tin with paper liners.
3. Mix together dry ingredients
4. Make a small well in the center of your dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients. Stir the wet ingredients together first, then begin to combine with the dry ingredients. Stir until mixed.
5. Stir in chocolate chips
6. Scoop batter into cupcake papers.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
8. While you are baking the cupcakes, mix up your frosting. Beat all of the ingredients together in a mixer until frosting forms. Add more milk or powdered sugar depending on how runny or thick you like your frosting.
9. Allow cupcakes to cool on a wire rack, then frost, add sprinkles and enjoy!